Tuesday 15 July 2008

buses

Journalism. 9/2/07



23 year old trainee journalist Ed Lowe writes :

We all have to use public transport at some point in our lives, but for people with limited mobility it is always a challenge. Ed Lowe, who lives in Willenhall, Coventry, has to use the buses on a daily basis to allow him to travel to university. Here is a typical day in the life of this trainee broadcast journalist .

I leave the suburb of Willenhall between 8 and 8.15. I try always to catch the bus No 21. Whenever I get on the bus it is usually empty, so there is no problem getting on board. Most of the drivers are only too willing to help you. They lower the bus down and then they bring out the portable ramps just the same as the ones you see on trains.

As the journey progresses, more and more people get on board the bus, and this is where sometimes the problem begins. One of the drivers’ weakest points is that they seem to allow more prams and buggies onto the bus than there is actually room for, and you also have people standing up. I sometimes feel like I am squashed inside a tin of sardines and this can get very claustrophobic.

Just before I get to my destination, which very often is Little Park Street, I make sure that I am sitting by the bus door ready and waiting so that the driver sees I am ready to vacate the bus. The majority of drivers, as I said before, are very helpful and they make sure I get off the bus as safely as I can.

No comments: